GIS Enrollment Guidelines
Important information about GIS
- Guided independent study courses do not follow the standard semester time schedule. You may enroll at any time.
- Enrollment in a guided independent study course does not constitute university admission.
- If you need a guided independent study course to graduate, you must enroll in the course at least nine weeks prior to graduation. Exceptions will be made only with written approval from the instructor.
- UNI students: Tuition for GIS courses is in addition to full-time, on-campus rates. Financial aid is not available to students who are enrolled in GIS courses. However, students enrolled at least half-time in regular coursework are eligible for federal financial aid. The aid may apply toward their total bill, which may include charges for guided independent study courses. Contact the UNI Financial Aid Office at 319-273-2700 with any questions.
- UNI students: UNI resident students earning credit hours through guided independent study will have those hours added to their credit-load during the semester of enrollment only. If this addition results in an overload, permission must be sought in advance from the Registrar’s Office.
How to enroll
Select your course(s)
It is your responsibility to determine whether a particular course will apply toward your diploma, degree, certification, or other educational goals. In general, we recommend that you enroll in no more than two guided independent study courses at one time.
Complete enrollment and submit form(s)
Online enrollment form
Printable enrollment form (pdf)
By mail or in person to:
Guided Independent Study
Nielsen Field House 165
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0285
If you do not receive course instructions within two weeks of enrolling, please contact us at email@example.com.